NON-DESTRUCTIVE CHECK OF INTERNAL PRESSURE BASED ON LASER SPECTROSCOPY
Laser spectroscopy uses a particular physical property of specific molecules in the gaseous state, i.e., the ability only to absorb light at particular wavelengths. This enables the measurement of the total/partial pressure concentration and that of the CO2 inside closed containers quickly and accurately. The laser beam, placed at the correct height on the production line, passes through the bottle in the product-free headspace, making it possible to determine whether there is a leak or micro-leak, depending on the internal pressure level measured.
The main advantages of applied laser spectroscopy are:
- Extremely high reliability, thanks to measurement accuracy;
- Extremely high measurement sensitivity: high sensitivity capable of detecting even minor variations in pressure (related not only to leaks but also to process malfunctions that can cause the introduction of oxygen into the bottle);
- Extreme measurement speed;
- Low maintenance and long lifespan of sources and the sensors used for inspection.
All these characteristics are ideally suited to the in-line application of this technology that can be installed on stand-alone machines and an existing belt.
MONITORING THE PRESENCE OF MICRO-LEAKS ON 100% OF PRODUCTION
Laser spectroscopy enables the monitoring of the overall pressure inside each bottle directly on the production line. The inspection is carried out immediately following the pasteurization stage to intercept any leaks or micro-leaks due to the heating and subsequent cooling of the cap during pasteurization or to defects in the bottle mouth (such as, for example, minor cracks) that may have occurred during production. Bottles with pressure below a certain level will be automatically rejected from the line. The inspection also enables monitoring that the pressure level inside the bottles is always constant, thus optimizing production conditions in the event of deviations.
BENEFITS FOR THE MANUFACTURER
Applying laser spectroscopy as a leak detection system on a beer bottle production line enables to:
- prevent complaints from the market: 100% of production is inspected;
- reduce waste resulting in environmental and sustainability benefits;
- guarantee product quality and company brand reputation.